Responsible Service of Alcohol Sydney

In Sydney and the rest of NSW, it is a mandatory legal requirement to hold valid NSW RSA certificate for licensees and staff who are selling, offering or serving liquor in the establishments with the general, on-premises, late night and packaged liquor licenses.

Those types of licenses cover most of the places where alcohol is served or sold.

So, if you are looking for a job in the places such as pub, restaurant, night club, concert hall, sport stadium or music festival where you’ll be serving alcohol, you’ll be required to hold NSW RSA certificate.


6 Hours + Breaks


Sydney CBD & Liverpool


Book and Paid Online: $140
Pay at the Door: $165

Book Now Limited Spots Available

Need Help? Call

1300 663 350

Course Overview

Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol SITHFAB002

  • Certificate Issued on the Day
  • 6 Hours
  • In Person
  • Nationally Accredited

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training program was designed to provide participants with the skills and knowledge necessary to contribute to a safe, enjoyable environment in licensed premises.

Edway is Nationally Recognised & Accepted
by all Employers

Nationally Recognised RSA Training


Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training program was designed to provide participants with the skills and knowledge necessary to contribute to a safe, enjoyable environment in licensed premises.

RSA training covers alcohol-related topics, such as facts about liquor industry and alcohol, intoxication, benefits of responsible service of alcohol, strategies for responsible service of alcohol, refusal of service and underage drinking, packaged liquor and functions.

Course Requirements

1. Identification. Participants must provide one form of valid I.D. (e.g. passport, driver’s licence, proof of age card, student card).


2. Attendance. Participants should arrive 15-20 minutes prior the start of the course to complete necessary registration paperwork.

ENTRY TO THE COURSE WILL BE REFUSED if participants arrives after course scheduled starting time.

Course Outcomes

Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive:

  • Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR) NSW Interim Certificate
  • Statement of Attainment (which is valid in NT, WA, SA, QLD)
  • An identity license card (provided by OLGR NSW)

Course Locations

SYDNEY – KINGS CROSS Ground Floor, 155 – 159 William Street Darlinghurst NSW 2010
LIVERPOOL – 61 Scott Street Liverpool NSW 2170
Check Map, Public Transport and Parking Information


*Booked and Paid Online $140.00
Pay at the Door: $165

Training Provider Information

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training course is delivered and certificates are issued by Edway Training Pty Ltd (RTO No 91401).

Edway Training Pty Ltd is approved by NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR) and accredited by Australian Skills and Quality Authority (ASQA) to deliver this training course.

At Liverpool, the RSA course is delivered and certificates are issued by St. Moses the Black Pty Ltd (RTO 41526)

Important USI Requirement

From 1 January 2015, every student who undertakes nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) in Australia is required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Students can use their USI to access their enrolment and achievement record from a single online source. The USI is made up of ten numbers and letters. A USI account will contain all of a student’s nationally recognised training records and results since 1 January 2015.


  • Edway Training will verify your USI before a certificate or statement can be issued.
  • You can apply for your USI after completing this registration process here


We love questions, almost as much as we love providing answers. Here are a few samplings of what we’re typically asked, along with our responses.

Can Centrelink pay for my course?

Centrelink does not make payments directly to training organisations for participants’ courses. What you will have to do is register with a local job agency, your case worker will make the booking with us on your behalf as well as arrange payment.

Can I pay for my course in instalments?

All courses must be paid for in full either at the time of booking or at the time of registration. Our training course prices are extremely competitive and high quality. We aim to make them as affordable as possible while still providing superior training solutions.

After my course, can you find me work?

We are closely tied with Edway Labour Hire, a recruitment company specialising in short term labour hire in the construction industry. If you are interested in applying, please see one of our friendly staff members.

What if I struggle with English?

For all our courses, a basic to intermediate understanding of the English language is required. Some courses allow the use of translators or interpreters, it is best to check the course requirements before making a booking. If we suspect you may struggle to understand the course content, you will be asked to complete an English test.

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept VISA/Mastercard payments as well as EFTPOS or cash. We can invoice your company, however, this needs to be arranged prior to your course.

What is your cancellation policy?

Generally, we require 48 business hours notice in order to cancel a booking. Changes to class times are allowed, but not within 48 hours of the class commencing.

I’ve lost my RSA, what do I have to do? Do I have to do the course again?

If you have lost your RSA interim certificate you will need to contact your training provider and ask them to resend you the certificate.

If you have lost your RSA competency card you will need to fill in this form and send it to Liquor and Gaming NSW. There is a $30 fee for requesting a new card. Download Replacement Competency Card Form.

What is the process for obtaining the RSA competency card?

Once you have successfully completed the RSA course you will be given a temporary interim certificate. You will need to make sure that the your personal details on the reverse side are all correct and take this interim certificate to an RMS Service Centre, along with 100 points of ID (see the reverse side of your interim certificate for what contributes to 100 points) and apply for the card. There is no fee in applying for the card, it has already been included in your course fee.

What do I have to bring to the RSA training course?

Edway Training provides all the necessary equipment and paperwork. You must bring photo ID, a pen and your payment if you have not paid (we accept cash and VISA and MASTERCARD payments).

How long are my interim certificates/competency cards valid for? When do I have to renew?

Your interim certificate is valid for 5 years, however, you can only work for 90 days before you will need the competency card. This means you can work purely on your interim certificate for those 90 days but after the 90th day you will need to have your competency card to work. If you have let the 90th day lapse, it does not mean your interim certificate has expired – simply you cannot work and you will need to apply for the card.

Your competency card is valid for 5 years. After 5 years you will need to re-sit the whole course. There is no refresher course available.

What is the penalty for working without my RSA certificate?

Fines range from $55 to $550 for each offence for the individual. Fines are higher if you work in Kings Cross or Sydney CBD. Liquor and Gaming NSW can also suspend your RSA for 12 months or cancel it. If your RSA is cancelled you will need to re-sit and pay for the course again.

If you are a licensee you can face fines of $55 to $1100 for each offence for staff not having their RSA.

Do I have to carry my RSA on me?

Generally speaking you should keep your RSA handy either in your wallet or purse. Your employers might also ask you for a photocopied version to keep for their records.

Can I work in other states with my NSW RSA qualification? Is it nationally recognised?

No. NSW issued RSA competency card is valid in NSW only.

However, on the day of training you would’ve received a Statement of Attainment which is recognised in some Australia states and territories (such as Northern Territory , Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland). In Victoria, NSW RSA Statement of Attainment can be used to receive Victorian RSA Certificate.

Can I still use my old paper certificates?

You can use the old paper certificates if they are less than 5 years old.

If you received a certificate from 1 January 2010 to 21 August 2011, it expires on 30 June 2016. Any certificates issued before 1 January 2010 have already expired.

You cannot work in Kings Cross and Sydney CBD with the older paper certificates.

What do I receive on the day of training? When will I receive my competency card? Can I work immediately?

On the day of your course, providing you pass the exam you will be issued with your interim certificate valid for 90 days and your statement of attainment which is valid in some other parts of Australia.

You will have to go to a RMS Service Centre in order to obtain your competency card. It will arrive within 3 weeks of you applying. Please see “What is the process for obtaining the RSA competency card?” above for further information.

You can work immediately with your interim certificate, up until the 90th day. Then you must have obtained your competency card to continue working.

What activities are involved in the RSA training course? What do I learn?

RSA training covers following alcohol-related topics:

  • Liquor industry and alcohol
  • Intoxication
  • Benefits of responsible service of alcohol
  • Strategies for responsible service of alcohol
  • Refusal of service and underage drinking
  • Packaged liquor
  • Functions

These topics are covered in various activities including PowerPoint presentation, role plays and Q&As.

Can I do my RSA training online?

Yes you can, however, Edway Training does not offer the course online.

What jobs can I get now I’ve obtained my RSA qualification?

An RSA is mandatory requirement for the following jobs, these are also the most common jobs people tend to get once they have completed their RSA:

  • Bartender
  • Wait staff
  • Bar back
  • Glassy
  • RSA Marshalls
  • Security

You may also be required to have an RSA if you are intend on applying for promotional work or volunteer serving liquor.

What other courses may I require to work in the hospitality industry?

The most common course undertaken with the RSA is the Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) course. This will allow you to work in areas where gaming or gambling takes place. This is quite beneficial for those wanting to work in pubs or clubs as employers tend to favour those with both certifications as it means the employee is flexible and can work both in the bar and gaming areas of the establishment.

What is the minimum age to complete the RSA?

You can complete the RSA course at any age, even under 18 years old as having the photo competency card may be a requirement from your employer. You may not serve alcohol until you are 18 years old however.

Who regulates the RSA training?

RSA training is regulated by Liquor and Gaming NSW.

My English is not so good, can I bring a translator?

Yes you can bring a translator. Please let us know when booking if you are going to bring a translator as we will have to reserve a seat for them.

What happens if I fail my RSA training end of the day assessment?

If you fail end of the day assessment, we allow you to come back and re-sit the exam. You do not have to pay nor sit through the whole course again, we simply ask that you choose a date and time and come back to have another attempt at the exam.

Does Edway offer an RSA and RCG combo?

Edway does offer a discount when paying for both courses. Please call us on 1300 66 33 50 and we will be able to tell you prepaid and pay on the day prices.

Can I get my RSA and RCG qualifications on the same plastic competency card?

Yes you can. To do so, you need to submit completed ‘Additional Competency Endorsement for existing Competency Card’ Form to the Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (please refer to the section 4 of the form for their contact details).

Please note that while your application is being processed you must carry your existing card as a proof of completion of the RSA training.

View All

Our trainers are here to help

Sibby Ilzhofer

Sibby has been a trainer for the last 20 years in various industries. Since 2010, she has become a VET sector specialist, specialising in Certificate IV in Training and Assessing, Leadership and Management, Work Health and Safety and First Aid.

Gino Debono

Gino Debono coming from the fire fighting background and was responsible for training of junior fire fighters, leading station drill and lecturing at schools. He’s passionate about training whether as a paid professional or as a volunteer.

Mehmet Obul

Mehmet Obul is one of Edway’s longest standing trainers. Training for us since 2010, Mehmet comes from a vast background from being a Doctor in China and having 15+ years in the construction industry.

Vienna Anderson

Vie comes from a paramedical background and has worked all around the world as a medic, emergency ward and in various emergency services roles. With her charismatic personality and knowledge, Vie brings a lot of fun and experience to the classroom.

Learn in Sydney

Our 6 Hour course fits neatly into busy schedules. See our dates and times from 10am – 4pm each day.

Get Started Today

To book a course, click your preferred date and location from the calendar. Then complete the online registration form on the following page. Once your details are submitted, you will receive confirmation of your booking via email.

$140 Online Special*

Book Now Limited Spots Available

RSA Training Sydney

Group Bookings

For group booking enquiries fill out the form below

Edway Training is a well-established, Australian based short courses training provider. We specialise in courses for construction, health and hospitality industries.

We have a solid reputation for running quality Group Training Programs across Sydney, NSW and Melbourne, VIC. Edway Training is committed to providing quality training at affordable prices. We are very flexible with the time and dates of the delivery of the courses and will do our best to accommodate your schedule. If the course can’t be delivered at your location, we can organise a special class for your group at one of our offices.

Edway RSA Course Sydney Training

We’re here to help!

Our friendly staff are here with personalised advice to help you find the right solution for you needs. This team of industry pros has extensive knowledge of the latest course information and requirements to assist your every need.

1300 663 350


Related courses

Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) Sydney

RCG Sydney

Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) certification qualifies gambling industry employees to promote safety in an establishment where gambling occurs.

Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety Sydney Course

Food Hygiene Sydney

This course deals with the skills and knowledge required to follow key hygiene procedures which apply in hospitality and tourism enterprises. This course applies to all individuals working in the hospitality industry in a range of work environments.

White Card Course Sydney

White card Sydney

Construction Induction training course, also known as White Card or Green Card training is a mandatory legal requirement for all persons involved in the construction industry.