Responsible Conduct of Gaming Sydney

Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) certification qualifies gambling industry employees to promote safety in an establishment where gambling occurs. The course covers the basic details of working in a gambling environment and how to anticipate and prevent problems. Graduates of this course are eligible to work at any establishment where gambling is present.


6 Hours + Breaks


Sydney CBD & Liverpool


Book and Paid Online: $100
Pay at the Door: $125

Book Now Limited Spots Available

Need Help? Call

1300 663 350

Course Overview

Provide Responsible Gambling Services SITHGAM001

  • Certificate Issued on the Day
  • 6 Hours
  • In Person
  • Nationally Accredited

Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) certification qualifies gambling industry employees to promote safety in an establishment where gambling occurs.

Edway is Nationally Recognised & Accepted
by all Employers

Nationally Recognised RCG Training


At an RCG course you will learn how to identify the potentially negative issues associated with gambling addictions among venue patrons. The courses are given by qualified trainers with professional industry experience and include group discussion and assessment.

Participants complete exercises designed to promote a safe atmosphere for both their colleagues and clients. Some course elements relate to students’ personal beliefs and attitudes to gambling, to cover any potential issues arising from your perspective about the topic.

RCG training course covers topics such as the impact of problem gambling on individuals, families and the community, key government agencies, how gaming laws affect employees of licensed premises, harm minimisation provisions of the gambling laws, legislative provisions for responsible gambling, minors and proof of age, offences and penalties, statutory and other gaming signage, self-exclusion schemes, strategies for preventing underage gambling, importance of advising patrons of assistance available to problem gamblers, implementation of House Policies and industry codes of practice, understanding duty of care, alcohol and gambling, appreciating the benefits of conducting gaming in a responsible manner, about the industry, legislation and employer expectations.

Course Requirements

1. Identification. Participants must provide one form of valid I.D. (e.g. passport, driver’s licence, proof of age card, student card).

INTERIM CERTIFICATE WILL NOT BE ISSUED if participants do not provide a valid form of I.D.

2. Attendance. Participants should arrive 10-15 minutes prior the start of the course to complete necessary registration paperwork.

ENTRY TO THE COURSE WILL BE REFUSED if participants arrives 20 minutes after the starting time.

3. Basic understanding of English language. To complete the course assessments, the basic understanding of reading and writing English is required.

The trainer reserves the right to refuse entry to the class based on the outcome of the Language, Literacy and Numeracy test which is available to all participants.

Course Outcomes

Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive:

  • NSW OLGR Interim Certificate (it’s valid for 90 days and allows to work immediately)
  • Photo Competency Card (which can be obtained through Service NSW centre)

For more information about Competency Cards, refer to the OLGR website.

Course Locations

SYDNEY – KINGS CROSS Ground Floor, 155 – 159 William Street Darlinghurst NSW 2010
LIVERPOOL – 61 Scott Street Liverpool NSW 2170
Check Map, Public Transport and Parking Information


*Booked and Paid Online $100.00
Payment at the door $125.00

Training Provider Information

Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) training course is delivered and certificates are issued by Edway Training Pty Ltd (RTO No 91401).

Edway Training Pty Ltd is approved by NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR) and accredited by Australian Skills and Quality Authority (ASQA) to deliver this training course.

At Liverpool, the RCG course is delivered and certificates are issued by St. Moses the Black Pty Ltd (RTO 41526)

Important USI Requirement

From 1 January 2015, every student who undertakes nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training (VET) in Australia is required to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). Students can use their USI to access their enrolment and achievement record from a single online source. The USI is made up of ten numbers and letters. A USI account will contain all of a student’s nationally recognised training records and results since 1 January 2015.


  • Edway Training will verify your USI before a certificate or statement can be issued.
  • You can apply for your USI after completing this registration process here


We love questions, almost as much as we love providing answers. Here are a few samplings of what we’re typically asked, along with our responses.

Can Centrelink pay for my course?

Centrelink does not make payments directly to training organisations for participants’ courses. What you will have to do is register with a local job agency, your case worker will make the booking with us on your behalf as well as arrange payment.

Can I pay for my course in instalments?

All courses must be paid for in full either at the time of booking or at the time of registration. Our training course prices are extremely competitive and high quality. We aim to make them as affordable as possible while still providing superior training solutions.

After my course, can you find me work?

We are closely tied with Edway Labour Hire, a recruitment company specialising in short term labour hire in the construction industry. If you are interested in applying, please see one of our friendly staff members.

What if I struggle with English?

For all our courses, a basic to intermediate understanding of the English language is required. Some courses allow the use of translators or interpreters, it is best to check the course requirements before making a booking. If we suspect you may struggle to understand the course content, you will be asked to complete an English test.

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept VISA/Mastercard payments as well as EFTPOS or cash. We can invoice your company, however, this needs to be arranged prior to your course.

What is your cancellation policy?

Generally, we require 48 business hours notice in order to cancel a booking. Changes to class times are allowed, but not within 48 hours of the class commencing.

What should I do if I have lost my RCG certificate? Do I have to re-do the course?

In the case that you have lost your RCG interim certificate, you can always contact your training provider and request them to resend the certificate.

In the case that you lost your RCG competency card, you will need to complete the application form and submit to the Liquor and Gaming NSW. This can be done in person, via post or email.

Liquor and Gaming NSW charges $30.00 fee for the card replacement.

For more information refer to the Replacement Competency Card Application Form or contact office of Liquor and Gaming NSW on (02) 9995 0900 or email to

I’ve got my interim certificate, what is the process to obtain the RCG competency card?

Once you have completed the course, your training provider will give you the temporary interim certificate.

Please make sure that your personal details on the reverse side of the certificate are all correct, then take the certificate to the RMS Service Centre along with 100 points of ID (see the reverse side of your interim certificate for what contributes to 100 points) to apply for the card.

Note that there is NO fee to apply for the card, as it has been included in the course fee. Follow the link to find your local RMS Service Centre

Now that I have registered for the RCG training course, what do I have to bring on the day?

All the necessary equipment and paperwork will be provided by Edway Training. You just need to bring Photo ID, a pen and your payment course in the case that you have not yet paid for the course (we accept Cash and Visa/MasterCard payment).

How long is the validity of my Interim Certificate and Competency Card? How do I renew the certificate?

The interim certificate is valid for 5 years but you can only work for 90 days before you have to obtain the competency card. This means that you can work purely using your interim certificate during the 90 day period, but after that you will need the competency card to work. Please note that if you have not yet obtained the competency card after the 90th day, it does not mean that your interim certificate has expired, you just simply cannot use it for work and have to immediately apply for the card.

We advise you to apply for your competency card as soon as possible. It can take three weeks to receive your card once you apply.
The competency card is valid for 5 years. You will need to re-sit for the course to renew your certification. There is no refresher course available.

What is the penalty for working without my RCG certificate?

Whether you’re a staff member or an employer, you’ll be fined if you work without a competency card, interim certificate, or valid paper certificate (outside precinct areas) or you allow employees to work without one.

Fines range from $55 to $550 for each individual offence. However, the fines are higher if you work within the area of Kings Cross and Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts. The Department of Liquor and Gaming NSW might also suspend you for 12 months or even cancel your RCG. If your RCG is cancelled, you will need to re-sit for the course again.

For the employer or licensee, the fines range from $55 to $1,100 for each offence of your staff not having their RCG card.

Do I have to always carry my RCG card with me?

We advise you to always keep you RCG handy, either in your wallet or purse. There might be a chance when your employers might also ask for the photocopy for their records.

Can I work in other states using my RCG? Is it nationally recognised?

No. Your NSW RCG training and competency card is only valid in NSW.

However, you will receive the statement of attainment document from your training provider that may be recognised in other states and territories. You might need to check with the respective state authorities for details.

I have the old paper certificate, can I still use it?

You can still use the old paper certificates if it is less than 5 years old.

However, since the Department of Liquor and Gaming NSW is phasing out the older paper certificates, the certificate obtained during the period of 1 January 2010 to 21 August 2011 will be expired on 30 June 2016. Any certificates issued before 1 January 2010 have already expired.
Please note that you cannot work in Kings Cross or Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts using this old paper certificates. You have to use the photo competency card to work within these areas.

What will I receive after I finished the training? How long does it take to get my competency card? Can I start working immediately?

After finishing the courses and passing the exam, you will get your interim certificate which you can use immediately for work and valid for 90 days before obtaining your competency card. You will also receive the statement of attainment which you can use it in other states in Australia.

You need to go to RMS Service Centre in order to obtain your competency card. Usually it will take around 3 weeks to obtain your competency card.
You can use your interim certificate to work immediately up to 90 days. After that, you need to have competency card to continue working.

Is it possible for me to get my RSA and RCG on the same card?

Yes, you just need to fill in the Additional competency endorsement for existing competency card form (

However, while waiting for your new card, you need to carry your existing card and the interim certificate of the additional course that you just attended. There is no additional fee for this.

What will I learn during the RCG course? What kind of activities are involved during the course?

Topics covered in the RCG course are as follows:

  • Impact of problem gambling on individuals, families and the community
  • Key government agencies
  • How gaming laws affect employees of licensed premises
  • Harm minimisation provisions of the gambling laws
  • Legislative provisions for responsible gambling
  • Minors and proof of age, offences and penalties
  • Statutory and other gaming signage
  • Self-exclusion schemes
  • Strategies for preventing underage gambling
  • Importance of advising patrons of assistance available to problem gamblers
  • Implementation of House Policies and industry codes of practice
  • Understanding duty of care
  • Alcohol and gambling
  • Appreciating the benefits of conducting gaming in a responsible manner
  • About the industry, legislation and employer expectations

These topics are covered in various activities including slideshows, role plays, Q&A and a test at the end of the course.

Can I do my RCG training online?

No. In NSW, the RCG course is not offered online.

What kind of jobs that I can get now that I have my RCG?

RCG is a mandatory requirement for the jobs which connected to any gaming and gambling activities. These are some of the most common jobs people tend to get once they have completed their RCG:

  • Gaming Staff
  • Payout Attendant
  • TAB Operator
  • Keno Operator
  • RCG is also may be required if you are intend on applying for promotional work involving any type of gambling.

You may also be required to have an RSA if you are intend on applying for promotional work or volunteer serving liquor.

What other courses or certificate that I might need to work within the industry?

The most common course is RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol). Please see our RSA page for further details.

Is there any minimum age to complete the RCG courses?

There is no minimum age. You can complete the RCG course at any age, even under 18 years old. However, you cannot work using your RCG around gaming and gambling until you are 18.

Who regulates the RCG training?

RCG training is regulated by Liquor and Gaming NSW.

My English is not so good, can I bring a translator?

Yes you can bring a translator. Please let us know when booking if you are going to bring a translator as we will have to reserve a seat for them.

What happens if I fail my RCG training end of the day assessment?

If you fail the exam, we allow you to come back and re-sit purely the exam. You do not need to pay or do the whole course again, you just need to choose a suitable date and time and come back and sit the test again.

Does Edway offer an RSA and RCG combo?

Edway does offer a discount when paying for both courses. Please call us on 1300 66 33 50 and we will be able to tell you prepaid and pay on the day prices.

View All

Our trainers are here to help

Sibby Ilzhofer

Sibby has been a trainer for the last 20 years in various industries. Since 2010, she has become a VET sector specialist, specialising in Certificate IV in Training and Assessing, Leadership and Management, Work Health and Safety and First Aid.

Gino Debono

Gino Debono coming from the fire fighting background and was responsible for training of junior fire fighters, leading station drill and lecturing at schools. He’s passionate about training whether as a paid professional or as a volunteer.

Mehmet Obul

Mehmet Obul is one of Edway’s longest standing trainers. Training for us since 2010, Mehmet comes from a vast background from being a Doctor in China and having 15+ years in the construction industry.

Vienna Anderson

Vie comes from a paramedical background and has worked all around the world as a medic, emergency ward and in various emergency services roles. With her charismatic personality and knowledge, Vie brings a lot of fun and experience to the classroom.

Learn in Sydney

Our 6 Hour course fits neatly into busy schedules. See our dates and times from 10am – 4pm each day.

Get Started Today

To book a course, click your preferred date and location from the calendar. Then complete the online registration form on the following page. Once your details are submitted, you will receive confirmation of your booking via email.

$100 Online Special*

Book Now Limited Spots Available

RCG Training Sydney

Group Bookings

For group booking enquiries fill out the form below

Edway Training is a well-established, Australian based short courses training provider. We specialise in courses for construction, health and hospitality industries.

We have a solid reputation for running quality Group Training Programs across Sydney, NSW and Melbourne, VIC. Edway Training is committed to providing quality training at affordable prices. We are very flexible with the time and dates of the delivery of the courses and will do our best to accommodate your schedule. If the course can’t be delivered at your location, we can organise a special class for your group at one of our offices.

Edway RCG Course Sydney Training

We’re here to help!

Our friendly staff are here with personalised advice to help you find the right solution for you needs. This team of industry pros has extensive knowledge of the latest course information and requirements to assist your every need.

1300 663 350


Related courses

Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Sydney

RSA Sydney

Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) certification qualifies gambling industry employees to promote safety in an establishment where gambling occurs.

Use Hygienic Practices for Food Safety Sydney Course

Food Hygiene Sydney

This course deals with the skills and knowledge required to follow key hygiene procedures which apply in hospitality and tourism enterprises. This course applies to all individuals working in the hospitality industry in a range of work environments.

White Card Course Sydney

White card Sydney

Construction Induction training course, also known as White Card or Green Card training is a mandatory legal requirement for all persons involved in the construction industry.