There are plenty of jobs for willing workers in the field of hospitality in Sydney, NSW. In order to get a job in a licensed venue or one that allows gambling, RSA and RCG certifications are generally required.
The RSA (Responsible Server of Alcohol) certificate qualifies you to serve alcohol to people over the age of 18.
RCG means Responsible Conduct of Gambling. In NSW, if you are working in a casino, club or pub that has gaming machines such as pokies, it will be mandatory for you to hold RCG certifications.
The reason these qualifications have been introduced in NSW is to reduce the risk of accident and injury and to lessen the impact of problem gambling in the state. The aim is to provide a safer environment for staff as well as patrons.
The easiest way to obtain your RSA certificate is to sign up to attend a six hour course that is held by a training institute that is approved by NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR) and accredited by Australian Skills and Quality Authority (ASQA).
During this session, you will be trained by a qualified instructor who will provide you with the skills and knowledge necessary for providing a safe, enjoyable environment in a venue that serves alcohol.
Once you have completed RSA training in New South Wales, you’ll be issued with :
- An Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (OLGR) NSW Interim Certificate (valid for 90 days).
- A Statement of Attainment (which is also valid in NT, WA, SA and Qld).
- An identity competency card provided by the OLGR NSW. (See below for details)
Carry your competency card whenever you are serving alcohol in order to prove you are compliant with NSW Government regulations.
The steps are similar to obtain an RCG in NSW. Sign up to attend a six hour course run by a qualified trainer with industry experience. During the course you will complete exercises and discuss beliefs and attitudes in relation to gambling. You will be required to pass an assessment at the end of the day before receiving a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment and Interim Certificate (valid for 90 days), which you will need to take to an RMS Service Centre and get your competency card (See below for details).
Signing up to certified training from a qualified provider will make it much easier for you to find a job in hospitality. Without this certification, you and your employer risk a significant fine.
To acquire your OLGR Competency Card you must bring your Interim Certificate to a NSW Service Centre. Here you will have your photo taken and your plastic wallet-sized card will be sent in the mail to you within 3-4 weeks. Here are a few pointers:
- Your Interim Certificates are valid for 90 days from the date of issue. This means you can work on your Interim Certificate up until that 90 day period, after then you will need your competency card to continue working.
- If possible, make an appointment with the NSW Service Centre.
- You will need 100 points of ID when applying for the card.
- Make sure you acquire your Competency Card at least a month before your Interim Certificate is about to expire as it can take up to 4 weeks to arrive in the mail.
- There is no fee for applying for the card.
For further information please visit the Service NSW website.
Edway Training offers RSA courses in Sydney CBD, Seven Hills and Mona Vale.
Check RSA training schedule or call 1300 663 350.
RCG training is offered in Sydney CBD and Liverpool.
Check RCG training schedule or call 1300 663 350.