How to get your RSA and/or RCG in Sydney, NSW

There are plenty of jobs for willing workers in the field of hospitality in Sydney, NSW. In order to get a job in a licensed venue or one that allows gambling, RSA and RCG certifications are generally required.

The RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) certificate qualifies you to serve alcohol to people over the age of 18.

RCG means Responsible Conduct of Gambling. In NSW, if you are working in a casino, club or pub that has gaming machines such as pokies, it will be mandatory for you to hold RCG certifications.

The reason these qualifications have been introduced in NSW is to reduce the risk of accident and injury and to lessen the impact of problem gambling in the state. The aim is to provide a safer environment for staff as well as patrons.

To obtain your RSA and/or RCG qualifications, book a course that is held by an approved training provider. Edway Training is approved by L&GNSW and accredited by the Australian Skills and Quality Authority (ASQA) to deliver these courses.

RSA and RCG in Sydney

Upon the completion of the training, you will be issued with:

  • L&GNSW Interim Certificate – valid for 90 days.
  • Statement of Attainment (which is also valid in NT, WA, SA, Qld and Tasmania).

Important: You can work with the Interim Certificate only for 90 days, after that you are allowed to work only with the Competency Card that is valid for 5 years.

Competency Cards are not issued automatically. You are required to order it by yourself in a Service NSW centre.

To order your Competency Card you need:

  • Go to a Service NSW centre.
  • Take your Interim Certificate and 100 points of identity documents (ID) with you to apply for the card.
  • You can find a list of the accepted documents at the back side of your Interim Certificate.
  • Service NSW assistants will take your photo, check your ID and order the Competency Card.
  • A wallet-sized plastic card will be posted to you within 3-4 weeks.
  • There is no extra fee for applying for the card.

Some additional information for Competency Card holders:

  • RSA/RCG Competency Cards are also available for uploading in Service NSW mobile app. For more information, please to the Service NSW webpage.
  • Make sure you acquire your RSA/RCG Competency Card at least a month before your Interim Certificate is about to expire as the card can take up to 4 weeks to arrive.
  • RSA/RCG Competency Cards are valid for 5 years. Check the expiry date on your card.
  • When your RSA/RCG Competency Card is due to expire, you will receive a reminder to renew your licence (usually 3 months before expiration date).
  • If you have a valid RSA/RCG Competency Card or it has expired recently but is within 28 days after the expiry date, you need to do a L&GNSW online refresher course.
  • Only if your Competency Card was expired more than 28 days ago, you can undertake a face-to-face or ZOOM course again.

For further information please visit the Service NSW website.

Edway Training offers RSA and RCG courses in Darlinghurst, Seven Hills and Mona Vale locations.

Check RSA training schedule or call 02 9357 6544.

Check RCG training schedule or call 02 9357 6544.